Upgrading a property can be an effective way to attract buyers and expedite sales. By making strategic upgrades, homeowners can enhance their property’s appeal, value, and overall marketability. Upgrades that cater to the area’s trends and demographics can be particularly effective. However, not all upgrades are created equal, and it can be hard to know which ones are worth the investment. According to a survey of HomeLight agents, a refreshed kitchen and primary bathroom can help boost the sale price, and upgraded fixtures, spacious layouts, and relaxing features such as soaking tubs or walk-in showers can impress buyers and enhance a property’s value. Lets take you on a guide to do this;
Fresh Coat of Paint
A fresh coat of paint can instantly brighten up a space and make it look well-maintained, which can attract potential buyers and expedite sales. According to HomeLight, a neutral colour scheme is the most effective for selling a house, as it allows buyers to envision their own belongings and personality in a home. Warm neutrals such as beige, greige (grey+beige), white, and cream are popular choices that appeal to a broad audience. Neutral colours can also make a space feel larger and more open, which can be particularly effective in smaller homes. It is important to choose a colour that matches the home’s flooring, trim, or architectural style. However, there are exceptions to the neutral colour rule, such as Victorian houses, historic properties, and homes in tropical areas where brighter colours are the norm.
Updated appliances, countertops, and cabinetry can have a significant impact on a kitchen’s appeal. According to HomeLight, updated cabinetry is one of the top kitchen upgrades that can help sell a home fast. Modern cabinets with clean lines, sleek hardware, and a neutral colour scheme can make a kitchen look more spacious and contemporary. Upgraded countertops made of materials such as quartz, granite, or marble can add a touch of luxury and durability. Stainless steel appliances are still popular, but black stainless steel and matte finishes are gaining popularity. In addition to aesthetics, functionality is also crucial. Open-concept kitchens that flow into the living or dining area are a popular trend that can make a home feel more spacious and inviting. A multipurpose work area, such as a kitchen island with a built-in sink or cooktop, can also add functionality and convenience.
Revamping bathrooms can have a significant impact on a property’s appeal and value. Updated fixtures, vanities, and tiling can make a bathroom look more modern, luxurious, and well-maintained. According to HomeLight, updated bathrooms are one of the top home upgrades that can help sell a home fast. Neutral colours such as white, beige, and grey are popular choices that can create a clean and spa-like atmosphere. Mixing and matching different textures and patterns can add interest and depth to a bathroom. Lighting is also crucial in creating a relaxing and functional space. It is important to choose fixtures that match the overall style and colour scheme of the bathroom. In addition to aesthetics, functionality is also important. A well-designed bathroom with ample storage, good ventilation, and easy-to-clean surfaces can add value and convenience to a home.
Curb Appeal Enhancements
Improving curb appeal is essential for creating a positive first impression and attracting potential buyers. Here are the reasons why a well-maintained exterior, including landscaping and exterior paint, is important:
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere: A well-maintained exterior with attractive landscaping and a fresh coat of paint can make a home feel inviting and appealing to visitors and potential buyers.
- Increases perceived value: A visually appealing exterior can give the impression that the property is well-cared for and of higher value. This can positively impact the perceived value of the home and potentially lead to higher offers.
- Sets the tone for the rest of the property: The exterior is the first thing buyers see when they approach a home. A well-maintained exterior can set a positive tone and make buyers more excited to see the rest of the property.
Tips for improving curb appeal on a budget:
- Power wash: Give the exterior surfaces, including the siding, driveway, and walkways, a thorough power wash to remove dirt and grime.
- Paint the front door: A fresh coat of paint on the front door can instantly enhance the appearance of the home. Choose a colour that complements the overall exterior colour scheme.
- Update door hardware: Replace old and worn-out door hardware, such as doorknobs and hinges, with new ones to add a touch of freshness.
- Enhance landscaping: Trim bushes and trees, weed flower beds, and add fresh mulch to create a well-maintained and tidy landscape
- Add outdoor lighting: Install outdoor lighting fixtures to illuminate pathways and highlight architectural features of the home.
- Upgrade house numbers: Replace old and faded house numbers with new ones that are easy to read and complement the style of the home.
- Hang a wreath or add potted plants: Adding a wreath to the front door or placing potted plants near the entrance can add a welcoming touch and enhance the overall appeal.
Energy-efficient features such as LED lighting, smart thermostats, and insulated windows can attract environmentally-conscious buyers and those who want to reduce their monthly energy costs. According to a survey by HSH.com, Energy Star-rated windows and appliances are among the top green features that home buyers want. Here are some energy-efficient upgrades that can enhance a property’s appeal:
- LED lighting: LED lighting is energy-efficient, long-lasting, and can create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Smart thermostats: Smart thermostats can learn a homeowner’s habits and adjust the temperature accordingly, leading to energy savings and increased comfort.
- Insulated windows: Insulated windows can reduce energy loss and noise pollution, and enhance a property’s overall energy efficiency.
- Energy-efficient HVAC: An energy-efficient HVAC system can reduce energy consumption and costs, and improve indoor air quality.
- Proper ventilation systems: Proper ventilation systems can improve indoor air quality and reduce the risk of mould and moisture damage.
- Green technology: Solar panels, geothermal systems, and rainwater harvesting systems are examples of green technology that can reduce energy consumption and costs.
- Insulation: Proper insulation can reduce energy loss and improve a property’s overall energy efficiency.
- Eco-friendly roofing materials: Eco-friendly roofing materials such as metal, clay, or slate can reduce energy consumption and costs, and enhance a property’s curb appeal.
Upgrading the flooring of a property can have a significant impact on its overall aesthetic and value. Here are some ways that upgraded flooring, whether it’s hardwood, laminate, or tile, can enhance a property:
- Increased property value: Upgrading the flooring of a property can significantly enhance its value, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
- Improved aesthetic appeal: Upgraded flooring can improve the overall aesthetic appeal of a property, making it look more modern, stylish, and well-maintained.
- Enhanced durability: Upgraded flooring can be more durable and long-lasting, which can be particularly important in high-traffic areas such as the living room or kitchen.
- Better functionality: Upgraded flooring can also improve the functionality of a space, making it easier to clean, maintain, and use.
When it comes to flooring choices, there are many options to choose from, and the right choice will depend on the property’s style, location, and target demographic of buyers. Hardwood flooring is a popular choice that can add warmth and elegance to a space. Laminate flooring is a more affordable option that can mimic the look of hardwood or tile. Tile flooring is a durable and versatile option that can be used in a variety of spaces, from bathrooms to kitchens.
Lighting plays a crucial role in setting the mood and ambiance of a space. Good lighting can create a comfortable, inviting, and functional environment, while poor lighting can negatively impact mood, energy levels, and overall well-being. Here are some benefits of modern, well-placed lighting fixtures:
- Enhances the aesthetic appeal: Lighting fixtures can add a decorative element to a space and enhance its overall aesthetic appeal.
- Improves functionality: Properly placed lighting fixtures can improve the functionality of a space, making it easier to perform tasks and activities.
- Creates a sense of spaciousness: Well-placed lighting fixtures can create a sense of spaciousness and depth in a room, making it feel larger and more open.
- Boosts productivity: Good lighting can enhance productivity and concentration, making it easier to work, study, or perform other tasks.
- Improves mood: Lighting can have a significant impact on mood and emotions, with warm lights creating a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere, and cooler lights making the environment more stimulating and productive.
Outdoor Living Spaces
Outdoor living spaces, such as decks, patios, and gardens, can significantly enhance a property’s appeal and value. Here are some reasons why:
- Extend living area: Outdoor living spaces can extend a property’s living area, providing additional space for relaxation, entertainment, and recreation.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere: Outdoor living spaces can create a welcoming atmosphere and enhance the overall aesthetic appeal of a property.
- Increase property value: Outdoor living spaces can increase the value of a property, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
- Provide a space for entertaining: Outdoor living spaces can provide a space for entertaining guests, hosting barbecues, or enjoying a quiet evening with family and friends.
- Enhance quality of life: Outdoor living spaces can enhance the quality of life by providing a space for relaxation, exercise, and fresh air.
When designing an outdoor living space, it is important to consider the property’s style, location, and target demographic of buyers. Some popular outdoor living space ideas include:
- Decks: Decks can be a great addition to a property, providing a space for outdoor dining, lounging, and entertaining.
- Patios: Patios can be a more affordable option than decks and can be designed in a variety of styles and materials.
- Gardens: Gardens can add colour, texture, and interest to a property, creating a relaxing and inviting atmosphere.
- Outdoor kitchens and bars: Outdoor kitchens and bars can provide a space for cooking, dining, and entertaining guests.
Updated Hardware and Fixtures
Simple upgrades like new doorknobs, faucets, and cabinet hardware can freshen up a space and have a significant impact on its overall aesthetic. Here’s how these upgrades can make a difference:
- Revitalised ambiance: Updating cabinet hardware, doorknobs, and faucets can instantly refresh the look and feel of a space, giving it a more modern and well-maintained appearance.
- Cohesive design: By choosing hardware and fixtures that match in style and finish, you can create a cohesive design throughout the home. This consistency in design can enhance the overall aesthetic appeal and create a sense of unity.
- Modern touch: Opting for modern and contemporary hardware and fixtures can bring a fresh and updated look to a space. This can attract buyers who appreciate modern design and make the home feel more current and desirable.
- Attention to detail: Upgraded hardware and fixtures demonstrate attention to detail and quality craftsmanship. This attention to detail can leave a positive impression on potential buyers and contribute to the overall perceived value of the property.
It is important for homeowners to assess their property’s condition and consider implementing upgrades that will appeal to potential buyers. By investing in strategic upgrades, homeowners can increase their chances of selling quickly and at a higher price.